A Social Network and MOOC for Health Informatics Professionals and Students
In the next few weeks, we’ll be launching the Health Informatics Forum Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). The course will cover a wide range of Health Informatics topics using the Open Access curriculum material developed by the Office of the National Coordinator in the US.
MOOCs are courses that allow any number of students (up to 100,000s in some cases) and are delivered online through an online community. At the suggestion of one of the leaders of the curriculum development project, Prof Ed Hammond, we've decided to use our forum to deliver the course to as many people as possible.
The course will consist of a series of components, each with several online narrated powerpoint lectures, developed by Columbia University, Duke University, Johns Hopkins University, Oregon Health and Science University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham through a $10 million grant from the ONC.
With each module, we’ll run a series of structured discussions for students on the course to both answer questions posed by the videos and for students to ask their own questions. Students will also be able to network and mentor each other through the site.
The MOOC is open to all and is freely available online. You don’t even need to sign up to the site (but if you do, you’ll be able to participate in the class discussions). There isn’t any certification or degree at the end, but hopefully participating in the course will inspire students to go on to study at an accredited university or college.
The components of the course are as follows:
1. Introduction to Healthcare and Public Health in the US
2. The Culture of Healthcare
3. Terminology in Health Care and Public Health Settings
4. Introduction to Information and Computer Science
5. History of Health Information Technology in the U.S.
6. Health Management Information Systems
7. Working with Health IT Systems
8. Installation and Maintenance of Health IT Systems
9. Networking and Health Information Exchange
10. Fundamentals of Health Workflow Process Analysis & Redesign
11. Configuring Electronic Health Records
12. Quality Improvement
13. Public Health IT
14. Special Topics Course on Vendor-Specific Systems
15. Usability and Human Factors
16. Professionalism/Customer Service in the Health Environment
17. Working in Teams
18. Planning, Management and Leadership for Health IT
19. Introduction to Project Management
20. Training and Instructional Design
We’ll aim to start the first component at the beginning of August. If you are signed up to the Health Informatics Forum, you’ll receive an email letting you know when the course materials are up and the first discussions are happening. If you aren’t signed up, you can join using the sign-up box on the top right of this site.