Apple have just announced a new open source framework to allow developers to build healthcare apps that use the 6 CareKit modules.
The modules are:
- Care Card: this module manages task that a patient needs to perform as part of their treatment such as taking a medication or changing a wound dressing.
- Symptom and Measurement Tracker: this module helps patients evaluate the effectiveness of a treatment plan and manages tasks such as assessing symptoms through things like pain scales and also allows use to put in objective measurements such as BP or pulse rate.
- Insights: this module displays charts to provide patients with 'insight' into the relationship between their treatment and their progress. Apart from charts, insights can also display text as a 'tip' or alert to help patients stay on track with their goals.
- Connect: this module provides a communication between patients and their care team and friends or family members. The module can share health status and insights data.
- Care Plan Store: this module stores Care Card and Symptom and Measurement Tracker data.
- Document Exporter: this module packages the information from the Insights module to allow it to be shared more easily
Here's the video from the Apple March event that introduced CareKit: